I’m participating in the #BarAThon – a blogging Challenge which involves blogging on every alternate day from Jun 17 – Jun 30, 2017. For each of the seven days, bloggers are free to choose either a theme (‘Seven’) or one of the seven prompts based on Book Titles for each day. Going with the theme—I’ve chosen Seven Easy Pick-me-ups.
These days everyone we meet is running around trying to balance a busy schedule. We all seem to be pulled in too many different directions all at the same time, which ends up making us stressed, feel burnt out and end up frustrated. My life is no different either. I have had good days and bad days and terribly bad days. Over time, I’ve also realized that sometimes all we need on a so-called “bad” day is to take time out to boost our mood and recharge our energy level so that we may eliminate the “bad” and fill it in with something positive.
If you’re in a situation where a busy lifestyle gets the best of you, despair not. Help is at hand. Whenever things get thrown into a tizzy and you get desperate for a break, give one of these tried and tested instant pick-me-ups a try. You’ll discover how the simple things in life can truly have a positive impact on your day.
1. Take a walk: This has been my #1 mood enhancer. And, of course, tried and tested. If you think a two-minute walk might possibly not impact your mood or your health, think again. A quick, brisk walk can give us the much-needed fresh air and nature can lift our spirits and reduce anxiety. Just five minutes walking through a park, trail or any green space is enough to spark a cascade of feel-good brain chemicals called endorphins.
2. Write down three things you’re grateful for: When in the midst of a horrible day, nothing is farther from our mind than counting our blessings. Yet, counting your blessings actually helps us appreciate the good things, that we are blessed with. Writing down a list of things we’re thankful for, allows us to refocus our mind on the positive and provides an instant lift to our mood.
3. Stretch out: Coffee and tea breaks work well, I know, but, for once, try taking a stretching break. You can do simple neck rolls and arm stretches from the comfort of your chair, whether at home or in the office, as you stand on the phone, or wherever you are! Even a few simple movements done throughout the day, can refresh the mind and relieve the tension.
4. Buy Yourself Flowers: I can bet you’d never have thought of this one, for a pick-me-up, but, trust me, flowers are the perfect antidote to a bad day. In fact, there’s no need to wait for a special occasion or for someone to send you a bouquet as a gift. Simply smelling a fresh flower alters your gene activity and blood chemistry, relieving stress and giving you an immediate mood boost.
5. Embrace a saying: Our thoughts determine our lives, so when we’re feeling down, it’s likely our thoughts will be pretty negative. The best way to counter this is by chanting a mantra and repeating it to ourselves. Just a simple thought that needs to be repeated throughout the day.
- I deserve to be happy.
- This too shall pass.
- What can I learn from this?
- I feel secure in who I am, I don’t need to compare myself to others.
You’ll be amazed what a little change like this can do to boost your mood and help you feel better through the day.
6. Eat a Comfort Food: There’s a reason why they call it ‘comfort food.’ Comfort food is genuinely comforting. Remember, how we’ve all dreamt of our favorite home-cooked food, during our days away from home—be it pakodi and steaming chai, idly-sambar, dal-roti, aloo parathas! Just remembering them is enough to induce a rush of feel-good chemicals to the brain, specifically fighting feelings of loneliness and depression. While I’m not suggesting that this be your primary method of dealing with a bad day, yet, once in a while, you may eat your favorite foods and relish the comforting memories and feelings that come with them. Remind yourself that there are times when staying happy is more important than weight-watching!
7. Listen to a comedy sketch: Normally, I try and watch something on youtube or read something funny, but last month I tried something different, for the first time. I went for a comedy show at the Atta Galatta, a popular bookstore cum cafe in the city, with 6 funny women taking the stage talking about their lives, their experiences, and observations. The show was hilarious and I laughed so much that my stomach hurt, but it made me appreciate how self-deprecating humor is so needed to get even with the odds in our lives! These days, thanks to the internet, satellite radio, and podcasts, a funny comedy sketch is never more that a few clicks away. Letting yourself laugh may help you see the humor in them and feel a little less alone.
Being kind to ourselves on our off days can make a huge difference to how long the dark clouds hang around. Next time you’re having a low day, give yourself a break and try one of the above instant pick-me-ups. You’ll never go wrong.
They say you have a bad day so you can appreciate the good days even more! Do you agree to that? What’s your favorite mood booster that never fails? As always, I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts, so do share them in the comments below.
You may read my other posts for the series here:
#Barathon Day 1 – The Fault is in the Stares.
#Barathon Day 2 – Life of Pie.
#Barathon Day 3 – Seven Favourite Film Scores.
#Barathon Day 4 –Seven Memorable Skywatch Shots.