I’m happy to join in for #FridayReflections after a longish break. The prompt was very interesting and since I hadn’t done anything like this before, I jumped in, excitedly. It isn’t always that you get to do this as a grown-up and I must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed compiling this list.
As I started jotting things down, I went down memory lane and recalled the school years, when we wrote totally random little-known facts about ourselves in what we called memory books of our friends, before we left to pursue higher studies in different cities, hoping we would be remembered and perhaps someday, meet again. This was a sort of keepsake those days before the advent of social media or mobile phones to help us stay connected. Except for the snail mail, we had no connection whatsoever during those days. We’ve certainly come a long way since those days. Today, thanks to social media, that keeps a tab on us 24/7, people know a great deal more about us. And, yet, I guess, there are things that are worth sharing with others so that we get to know each other a little better. Anyway, without digressing further, let me get on with the facts.
These 21 random facts are so typically me. Read on, laugh if you will, or be amused, but, this is me, warts and all, far from perfect.
- Born in a little town called Digboi in Assam, I’ve lived in so many places all my life, that I cannot say I belong to any one place in particular.
- I always see myself as an ‘individual’ first and a ‘woman’ later.
- One thing I can’t live without is my independence.
- I love being close to nature and am at my happiest when I’m close to the ‘terra firma’.
- For someone with two left feet, I’ve always dreamt of being a ballet dancer as a child. (Funny, no?)
- I’ve never been drunk, though I have been tipsy once (and I loved it! :D)
- I usually always end my meal with something savoury, as I’m not a great fan of anything sweet. (Shocking, right? That’s typically me!)
- I always prefer to live in a west-facing house/apartment, which lets me have a view of the sky at sunset! (You have no idea what house-hunting means for someone like me. Jay could tell you more on this :D)
- Water is my favourite drink. Surprised? (Can easily do 14-16 glasses happily a day. 🙂
- I suffer from a severe case of claustrophobia and it gets worse when I’m traveling. (Don’t ever mention the middle berth in a three-tier compartment of a train !!)
- I do enjoy my moments of solitude, whenever I find them.
- I love to gift books to people, even when I know they don’t read, with the hope of converting non-readers into readers (rarely works !!!)
- A messy house always throws me into a tizzy!
- I find great joy in de-cluttering and even greater joy in giving away things to people who might have some use for them.
- My first love has always been the one and only Gregory Peck. (Can’t believe I just put that in!).
- I have a terrible fear of driving, which I hope to overcome someday.(See, I never give up hope :D)
- I start off with many great ideas but do not always see them through completion.(Realising this is easy, the tough part is changing!)
- I cannot stand people who talk down to others, are rude, have vile tempers or interfere in other people’s lives. The last category in particular.
- I am very possessive of my humble collection of books.
- I’d prefer to have a few good friends to spend an evening with, rather than go partying with a crowd. (No hesitation confessing to this!)
- I never get bored of watching the old films – especially the Black and White and sepia prints of the Hollywood and Indian classics.
Felt great jotting down this list. Wouldn’t you wish to have some fun too? Go ahead. It’s very simple. Write your post on 21 random things about yourself and share it with the rest of us! 🙂
(Linking up with Friday Reflections hosted by Sanch of livingmyimperfectlife and Corinne of writetribe)
I can tick off several of these, Esha. So when are you getting tipsy again? 😉
I’m game, Corinne. Anytime, with the right (I mean the ‘Write’) people around 😉
water huh!!! I try to keep tract of that everyday and forget-everyday. so nice to know you Esha
Menaka Bharathi has recently published http://simpleindianmom.in/coir-pith-for-terrace-garden-nutritive-growth-substrate-organic-veggies/
Oh, really? You could try taking green teas and juices as well for fluid intake if not plain water. Some of my friends do that 🙂
I too have a fear of driving which I am trying to overcome too some day..good to know you and connect with you 🙂
Ah, so glad I’m not alone in this. Fear should not be driving us, but don’t know why so many women do, when it comes to driving.
You really don’t like sweets?? 🙉 but you are so sweet urself you don’t need sweets! Number 12- you ate doing a great thing by gifting books! Try dancing – whatever comes to your mind, just for fun.
Haha…sounds strange, no? So many of my friends think this is really weird esp since I’m a Bengali!!! You’re giving me ideas about dancing now, Tina…I’m very good with march past though 😀
Lol!!! Put on some fun music there’s no way you can’t dance!
It would not come as a surprise to you that I am most of these points. If I sit down to write 21 facts about me, it surely will be fun for me, to say the least 😀 I think I will take your points as the base to work around to create mine.
Haha…I know Anamika. Was waiting to see your comments on this one 😀 Please do go ahead and write your post. Looking forward to reading it !!!
I can see that we have a few things in common. I love my me time, messy homes give me panic attacks. I cant dance to even save myself. Ditto on No. 3, 11, 18, 19 and 20. 🙂
Oh, that was such a fun thing to do, wasn’t it, Shilpa? And even better to discover that we have so many things in common with each other. Over to yours now…to discover more about you 🙂
I see some similarities in our list, Esha. 🙂
Esha I loved reading and knowing a little more about you! You didn’t mention you have a great sense of humor!! I can draw quite a few parallels with your likes and dislikes! But savoury at the end of a meal – that felt sad, but I am sure that’s what keeps you looking so fab!!!
You are very kind, Kala! Thanks for enjoying my list. I have a feeling that we’ll have an awesome time if we ever get chatting face-to-face. I know its quite unlike a true Bengali not to be fond of sweets but (fortunately for my diabetic husband), this actually works in his favour! 😀
That is a wonderful list. I totally agree about books. Love them. How great that you can drink so much water! I prefer small groups of friends too. As you will know if you read my list, I didn’t learn to drive until late in life, so you never know!
I’m glad you joined in with your post, so we can get to know one another a little better this way! Now that you mention, I still have time to get rid of my handicaps, driving would definitely be top of my list 🙂
Enjoyed reading your post. I couldn’t resist myself in joining with you, Esha !!!!
That is fantastic, Vasantha. Looking forward to reading yours too 🙂
🙂 🙂 🙂
I also do the sweet savoury thing and I thought I was unique! nice to know I’m not alone. 🙂
No, you’re not, Suzy. There are quite a few of us tuned that way 😀
3, 7,11,12,13,16,17,19,20….All me 🙂
Loved getting to know you better through this, Esha. In some ways though, I kind of knew a few things about you, at least felt like. Maybe that through reading your posts 🙂
hehe…yes, my posts are a dead give away for a lot of things about me…Now, I’m very curious to read yours, Nabanita 😀
17, 20, 21 are so like me… It was fun to know you more.
Waiting to see your list, Lata 😊